On January 26, 1905, the William Rice Institute purchased Lots 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, and 10 in the City of Kosse. The following year, a huge building was constructed. It was called The Tabernacle. Construction was begun and a huge storm, probably a tornado, tore the framework down. Construction was again started and the railroad donated gravel from a train derailment just south of Kosse. This gravel was used in the concrete at the base of the columns inside the Tabernacle and around the base of the outside walls.
The building was used for town meetings, revival meetings, and other gatherings. In May of 1912, the City of Kosse purchased the property for the sum of $500.00. The City paid $100 and made four notes of $100 each to be paid over a period of four years. The Mayor at that time was W. D. Allen and the aldermen were: J. S. Brooks, W. L. Forbes, J. S. Markham, J. T. Robison, and T. A. Griffin. This purchase was recorded May 19, 1913, in the Limestone County records.
In December 1913, the City purchased Lots 6 and 7 which were on the northwest corner of Block 52 which comprises the total property of the Tabernacle. These two lots were purchased from the First Presbyterian Church U. S. of Kosse and its members were: Mrs. R. L. Johnson, Miss Lizzie Erskine, Mrs. Mattie Markham, Mrs. M. B. Todd, John Todd, Sr., and R. L. Johnson. This transaction was recorded for record on December 4, 1913.
Some of this information came from a great historian, Mr. Neville White. The recorded information is on file at the City of Kosse offices. This building has much history and is a landmark for the City of Kosse. In 1973, after many years of neglect, citizens began a restoration project. That restoration continues, as a dedicated group of citizens strive to keep the structure intact as a monument to our forefathers and generations to come.
The Kosse Community Center of today serves as the focal point for activities and fellowship in Kosse for elections, reunions, events, and as an aid station in disasters.